Some simple act of kindness that change my life in a big way


1. HSE 2007: During my higher secondary days in Imphal (2005-07), I was in such a situation that I could neither afford to go to school daily nor buy enough reading materials. My aim was just to complete my Class-XII. Since I was not regular in the class, and was not able to owned required text-books, it was a difficult task to prepare for the HSE Exam. With the little materials in hand, I thought I should give my best whatever it takes. A couple of months before the exam, I decided that I should try to get 70 percent. Seeing my seriousness on the eve of exam, a neighbour, who was teaching in another higher secondary school in Imphal, bring me additional sheets from the school and gave it to me. She told me to used for writing practice because she knew that reading alone is not enough. Using those papers given to me by that lecturer, I was able to passed my HSE (Arts) with 71 percent. This little act of kindness have changed my outlook and even my academic career to a great extent. Because it was by then that I told myself: If I could get 71 percent with unused papers smuggled for me, I could do much more in the future.

2. FAILED ATTEMPT TO GET INTO JNU: While I was in College doing my BA Honours in Political Science (2007-10), I find all the teachers in the department so kind to me. In 2-3 years time, I become very close to almost all the teachers. However, one of them stood above the rest in influencing my career. That Teacher, I believed, know my conditions, and also my academic aspirations very well. One fine day, while having an informal interaction with him on my future career, he suggested to me to try for JNU. It was during the first few months of my BA final year. He said JNU is amongst the best university in India, and also one of the cheapest. If you get into JNU, you are already 50 percent success. He also added: EVEN IF YOU STARVED, DON'T LEAVE JNU; NOBODY DIE OF STARVATION. This simple word from him encourage me to try for JNU, and with the help of a very generous friend in Delhi, I was able to complete the process for filling-up of forms. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into JNU, but this teacher's simple words of encouragement continues to inspire me.

3. FREE READING MATERIALS: While I was in MA (Previous) in 2010/11, I used to attend Free NET Coaching Classes conducted by a special centre for for SC/ST&Minorities in the University. There I met two outgoing seniors who have just completed their MA. After we attended the class together for 1-2 months, they told me that they are leaving, and that they will pass-on their notes to me. The next day, I received a bundle of photocopies which they probably used during their two years MA course. I guessed it will be 700-1000 pages approximately. Seeing the notes, I was shocked. Because not only that I hardly knew them, but I also really need those materials for my MA course as well as for NET/JRF preparation.

4. FEE FOR NET EXAM: A year later, in 2011/12, while I was in MA (final), I decided to try for UGC-NET/JRF Exam. The examination fee for ST was ₹110 only. However, I was not in a position to pay even that small amount. So, I decided to give up thinking I may not even get through. Then, one of my friend, who was also my classmate, offer me to pay the Exam Fee. We applied, and luckily, I got NET. The next year, the same situation arises, and with another friend bearing my Exam Fee, I got JRF. Unfortunately, both these two friends couldn't get through NET exam even after repeated attempts. Yes, that ₹110 shaped the future of my academic career in a big way.

5. ADMISSION FEE FOR M.PHIL: After appearing MA final semester exam in 2012, I decided to go for M.Phil course. By then, I haven't cleared NET/JRF. But after I got selected for M.Phil program, I came to know that the Admission Fee was ₹7500 only which was too costly for me. So, I reluctantly decided not to go for admission in the last hour, and informed my parents about it. Though they don't appreciate my idea, they too were helpless. However, I got a message from a friend on the last day of admission that a non-teaching staff was willing to help me. I supposed she knew my performance in BA, MA, and in the entrance test was not that bad, and that she wants to help in case I had financial difficulty. At first, I asked myself how can a staff who is not even known to me extended such help? Of course, I had had some interaction with her during the process of form fill-up. But that was too minimal to expect such kindness! Somehow, I accepted and get myself admitted for M.Phil program. I completed my M.Phil in 2014 and continue my further studies without any break.

TOWARDS A CONCLUDING REMARKS:

In life we had had so many experiences: good as well as bad. My intention here is not to show my achievements or failures, but to proved that a simple act of kindness can change the life of another person. Looking back at my past, there were many instances where I was on the edge of giving up on my academic pursuit. But, these few kind-hearted persons who were little known to me, and others whom I don't mentioned here because they are well-known to me then, had rescued me from doom on such situations.

Friends, we may not be able to help others in a big way, but let's keep in mind that a small act of kindness can also make a difference in one's life. Let's not hesitate to help others whenever and wherever we can.

(NB: Names are not disclosed purposefully)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mukt Shabd Journal: Is it a Fake Journal?

What have the Meiteis Benefitted through this Conflict?

Khangdong ho ding’a kitilkhou nathei tah Bosco hinkho